There are a few weeks left of the winter season and fresh snow dusting the mountains today, but our Resort Team is also starting to prepare for the summer, getting everything ready for your Chamonix summer holiday.
All prices for summer activities and lift passes are now up to date on our website and over on our Resort Shop, so you can already start planning and book everything for your stay. Check out our summer guide and Summer Shop, and read on for more tips from our Resort Team on what not to miss for your Chamonix holiday this summer…
Top 3 tips for adrenaline seekers
Chamonix is the capital of Alpinism and home of extreme sports, so adrenaline seekers will find plenty to keep them entertained through the summer in Chamonix.
- Rafting in Italy: take on the white rapids of the Dora Baltea, Italy’s highest grade river (Grade III-IV). Choose from a half day which includes 2 runs or a full day which includes an Italian lunch! From 90€ per person.
- Via ferrata: scale the side of the mountain on cable bridges and iron ladders. Perfect for those with a head for heights looking for the next challenge. 78€ per person.
- Glacier hiking: total novices can take their first steps onto a glacier on the Mer de Glace, to learn the techniques of using crampons and ice climbing with a guide. If you’ve got some experience, you can head to the top of the Aiguille du Midi and traverse the famous Vallée Blanche glacier, on the rooftop of Europe. From 112€ per person.
Top 3 tips for families and kids
Chamonix is the perfect location for a family summer holiday, as there is a wealth of activities for everyone to try and to cater for all ages.
- Adventure tree park: perfect for all ages, there are 5 different courses to give everyone something to try and challenge those who want to go to the end. From 9€ per person.
- Rafting in Chamonix: Chamonix has its own white water rapids on the River Arve, and at level Grade II the river is perfect for kids from age 8. From 39€ per person.
- Kids adventure programmes: book children and teenagers onto a tailored programme for their age group – they can mix with other kids and mum & dad can get some well-earned rest, or try one of our adrenaline activities! From 38€ per person for a half day, 68€ per person for a full day.
Top 3 summer walks and hikes
Chamonix’s summer trails are well-maintained and well-signposted, while the cable cars give easy access to everything whether you’re a serious hiker or a casual walker. Don’t forget to pre-book your summer Mont Blanc Multipass to save you queuing at the lift passes.
- Grand Balcon Sud: one of the great panoramic trails of Chamonix, get some altitude and follow this ‘balcony’ walk which faces Mont Blanc and the Aiguille du Midi and gives unrivalled views. A 5 hour round trip will take you from Chamonix centre up to the Brevent area via Planpraz cable car, along the balcony to Flegere where you can take the cable car back down to Les Praz, from where it’s an easy walk along the river back to Chamonix.
- Grand Balcon Nord: the mirror image of the walk above, the ‘North Balcony’ also takes in the Montenvers train where you can visit Mer de Glace glacier, as well as the bottom half of the Aiguille du Midi cable car – nip up to the top and take in the views from Europe’s highest cable car!
- Lac Blanc: easily accessed from Flegere cable car or Index chair lift, the Lac Blanc overlooks Mer de Glace glacier and is the setting for breathtaking views.
And so much more…
There is lots to see and do in Chamonix in the summer – make sure you also check out our day trips and summer video for more inspiration.
More summer blog posts you might like
- Tour de France comes to Chamonix in 2016
- Resort Team take the plunge with hydrospeed – activity review
- Reasons to book a summer holiday in Chamonix
- Resort Team try out rafting in Chamonix – activity review
- Activities for your summer holiday
- Summer activities picks for families
- Italian Wine & Cheese tour – day trip review
- First time canyoning – activity review